Saturday, December 9th we were joined by Dr. Laura Chackes. She did an excellent job listening to students about what stresses them out and also providing constructive ways to work past the stress. We are including the handouts and resources she shared with us for students who were unable to attend.
- Managing your stress
- Cognitive Distortions
- Thought Challenging
- Thought challenging sample
- Being with stressful moments
- Family Mindfulness Winter Flyer
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Flyer
- The recommended apps were Headspace, 10% Happier, and Insight Timer.
- 3 Minute Breathing Space (Audio!)
- Body Scan (11 min audio)
- Working with difficulties (12 min audio)
Dr. Laura also just sent this in:
- The Mindful Way Workbook by John Teasdale, Mark Williams and Zindel Segal
- The Mindful Way through Anxiety, by Susan M. Orsillo and Lizabeth Roemer
- The Mindful Way through Depression by Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal, and Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion by Christopher Germer
- 10% Happier
- Stop, Breathe and Think
- Insight Timer
Meditation / Sitting Groups:
- THERAVADA TRADITION (Mindfulness or Insight Meditation Practice)
Sunday Sangha, a Mindfulness Meditation Sitting Group, meets weekly for silent meditation and discussion on topics related to Insight Meditation, Mindfulness Practices and Theravada (Early Buddhist) teachings. Chairs are available, but if you prefer a cushion, please bring your own. New and experienced meditators are welcome.
Where: Solar Yoga, 6002 Pershing, St. Louis, MO 63112
When: Sunday mornings from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm
Call/text Jan at 314-210-8820
- Louis Mindfulness
The St. Louis Mindfulness (formerly St. Louis Insight Meditation Group) was founded in 1996 to support the understanding of Mindfulness through the Theravadan Buddhist practice of insight meditation (Vipassana) in the St. Louis area. It is a lay group offering meditation sittings, dharma talks, and classes.
Where: Big Bend Yoga Center, 88 N. Gore (at Kirkham), Webster Groves, MO, 63119
When: Monthly on the second Sunday, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm, check website for schedule.
- Free meditation workshop at the St. Louis County library (1640 S Lindbergh Blvd, Saint Louis, MO) from 11 am – 12:30 pm, offered three Saturdays this month.
The class begins with an introduction to the basics of Sahaja Meditation. It is followed by the experience of awakening of the inner energy and a short meditation thereafter. We also have discussions on energy channels and different energy centers from time to time.
No registration required!